I’m Jen Zeman, and this is where I’m to tell you all about myself. As an introvert (an introverted Capricorn to be precise), I find this task as enjoyable as walking across a mile of molten hot razor blades. Why? Because I’m not used to tooting my own horn, even when introducing myself. So to keep it simple, here’s a list of some of my favorite things, as well as my best attempt to let you know who I am. Still with me? Okay, here we go:
- I’m 44 years old and work full time while proclaiming to the world I am an artist. So that means I get artsy in my free time while Monday – Friday finds me sitting in a cubicle for nine hours a day. Perhaps one day I will become a full-time artist but I recently declared (mainly to myself) that I am no longer going to obsess about it. Life is too short and it’s too damn exhausting.
- I’m married to a wonderful man who is my polar opposite. He’s a Pisces – which means while he is oil to my water, we are a great match. He makes me laugh when all I want to do at times is cry. He rocks.
- I have a 14-year-old female Chow Chow named Kiara. She is the light of my life and I’m grateful for every additional day I get to spend with her.
- Speaking of dogs, I love all animals! Really, any single one will do, but I have a particular soft spot for elephants, pandas, and dogs. But if you were to get me a giraffe for my birthday I wouldn’t turn him/her away.
- I have suffered from clinical depression since my teens. At this point it’s under control but I still have bad days, although few and far between. It’s time to get over the stigma of mental illness and start reaching out to one another.
- I love tropical islands, which are the focal point of my art. I travel to them as often as possible and find painting tropical landscapes to be soothing.
- That being said, I hate the cold. I currently live in Maryland but I’m making plans to move south very soon (Austin or Florida). If I never saw another snowflake I would not be disappointed.
- I’m a fitness and health fanatic and have been for many years. I loved running but have been sidelined with a stress fracture and torn labrum in my left hip. So now it’s cycling for cardio, along with weight training and yoga most days of the week. Exercise and eating well keeps me sane.
- I also love reading, nearly as much as painting. Fiction or non-fiction, I can’t go a single day without reading. Pair it with a glass of Riesling and I’m in heaven.
So welcome to my world! I refuse to call this a blog, because at this point the word “blog” sets forth a gag reflex in me as much as the word “hustle” does. It is a journal. It’s my private thoughts I choose to share with the world. Or whoever chooses to actually read it, even if just one person. I’m not about world domination or starting a revolution. I am here to project serenity to those who crave it, because I choose to inject my life with serenity every day. Serenity, calmness, quiet make me happy, focused, and productive. Plus, there’s more than enough crazy in this world that it doesn’t need to show up here.
Peace, love, happiness and harmony always.